Our experienced legal team at Thomas, Conrad & Conrad Law Offices understands the life-changing physical, emotional, and financial toll that catastrophic injuries can take on victims and their families. These types of cases can be complex, as catastrophic injuries often lead to permanent disability and require lifelong medical care.
Although no amount of money can change what has happened, it’s important to seek the counsel of knowledgeable catastrophic injury attorneys who know how to accurately value your claim and fight to get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
Causes Of Catastrophic Injuries
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Tractor-trailer accidents
- Sports accidents
- Swimming pool accidents
- Defective products
- On-the-job accidents, such as construction accidents, explosions, electrical shock, and exposure to hazardous substances
Types Of Catastrophic Injury
Although the severity of injuries varies from one case to another, some of the most common examples of catastrophic injury include:
- Back, neck, and spinal cord injury — Neck and spinal cord injuries are often debilitating and can result in paralysis and other conditions that require lifelong specialized care.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) — Victims of TBI often face permanent physical, cognitive, and psychological problems that have a serious impact on their quality of life and the lives of their families.
- Amputation or loss of limb — Not only is this type of injury incredibly painful and traumatic, the medical expenses associated with amputation are astronomical. Hospitalization, surgery, a lifetime of occupational and physical therapy, prosthetic limbs that often need to be refitted, and treatment for the psychological effects of losing a limb can reach into millions of dollars.
- Bone fractures — Broken or crushed bones can require costly surgeries and rehabilitation and affect a person’s ability to perform daily activities for the rest of their life.
- Loss of vision or hearing — Injuries that affect these senses can end careers and seriously affect a victim’s enjoyment of life.
- Organ damage — Damage to complex organs can cause long-term harm and require expensive ongoing medical treatment.
- Burns and disfigurement — Scarring that affects a victim’s face or other areas of the body can be very challenging to deal with, both physically and psychologically. The cost of reconstructive surgeries and the emotional and social consequences of this type of catastrophic injury can be devastating.
Many catastrophic injuries also require architectural modifications to the victim’s home, assistive technology, and adaptive equipment such as wheelchairs, medication, and medical supplies and equipment, plus ongoing at-home or facility care.
Pennsylvania Personal Injury Law
Pennsylvania follows a modified comparative negligence law, which means that a plaintiff may still be able to recover compensation in a personal injury claim even if they are partially responsible for the accident. It’s also important to keep in mind that the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim in Pennsylvania is two years. Seeking the counsel of a catastrophic injury lawyer right away can ensure all deadlines are met so you and your family can focus on healing.
Recovering Compensation For Catastrophic Injuries
The intention of a compensation award in a personal injury case is to make the injured victim “whole” again. In catastrophic injury cases, this often means that plaintiffs receive two types of compensation for their losses: economic damages to compensate their quantifiable financial losses, like medical bills and lost wages, and noneconomic damages that compensate the victim for things like loss of enjoyment of life, pain and suffering, loss of companionship or consortium, and emotional trauma.
Because catastrophic injuries often involve astronomical bills for extensive, ongoing medical treatment, a lifetime of lost earnings, and physical and emotional pain, it is critical to seek the counsel of a tenacious catastrophic injury attorney who is well-versed in handling these types of personal injury claims.
At Thomas, Conrad & Conrad Law offices, our tenacious legal team has the resources and experience required to recover maximum compensation in catastrophic injury cases. We understand how to accurately value your damages to ensure you get the medical care you need and protect your family’s financial future.
We’re familiar with insurance company tactics and aggressively negotiate on your behalf to recover maximum compensation. Our catastrophic injury attorneys pursue all possible avenues of compensation and will not hesitate to take your case to court if a reasonable settlement cannot be reached.
Contact A Catastrophic Injury Lawyer To Learn More
If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury that was caused by someone else’s negligence, our attorneys at Thomas, Conrad & Conrad Law Offices can help. Contact us online or call 610-867-2900 to schedule a free consultation.