Finding a good divorce attorney can seem like a tall order. It can be challenging to know where to start. Ending your marriage can be emotionally and financially stressful under the best of circumstances, so it’s critical to hire an experienced lawyer who will look out for your best interests. Our family law team at Thomas, Conrad & Conrad helps families navigate issues surrounding divorce, child custody, support, and other legal matters. Asking these questions can help you find a seasoned attorney who knows how to handle your case and provide skilled legal representation.
The first thing you’ll want to find out is a lawyer’s level of experience in handling divorce cases. Asking the following questions can help you determine whether an attorney has sufficient qualifications in this area of the law.
- How many years have you been practicing law?
- How much of your firm’s focus is on family law?
- How many divorce cases have you personally handled?
- What percentage of your divorce cases have been settled out of court?
- Are you acquainted with local family court judges, clerks, attorneys, and other officers of the court?
- Do you have experience litigating cases involving specific issues like spousal support and alimony, child support, substantial marital assets, or business valuation? (this question will be specific to your circumstances)
- Have you handled cases similar to mine?
- Will you attempt to resolve issues using alternative dispute resolution methods like mediation or collaborative divorce?
- Will I have input on the strategy you’re planning?
- What is your proposed strategy for my case?
- What can I do to help with my case?
- Do you have an idea of how long it may take to resolve my case?
- Based on the circumstances, what do you think possible outcomes could be for my case?
- Will you personally be handling my case? If not, does that person have experience in divorce litigation?
- Can I meet others who will be involved in my case?
- Will you be available via phone, email, or text? If not, who should I contact?
- If I need help with an urgent matter, how should I contact you?
- What do you consider an emergency?
- Will you keep me promptly informed of all developments in my case?
- How does marital property division work in my state? Division of debt?
- Will I have to pay my spouse’s support or am I entitled to spousal support or alimony?
- How do you collect accurate financial information from my spouse?
- Are you aware of any tax implications my financial decisions regarding the divorce may have?
Child Custody And Support
- Based on my specific situation, what are your recommendations for custody and child support?
- Will I have to pay child support or will I be entitled to child support?
- How are child custody and support arrangements decided in my state?
- What’s the best way to increase my chances of gaining custody?
Fees And Costs
- Do you charge an hourly rate or a flat fee?
- What are your rates?
- How much will you require for a retainer?
- Will I be charged for phone calls?
- Will you inform me of additional costs such as a private investigator, expert witness, or other professionals?
Finding An Attorney
If someone you know has been through a divorce, ask them if they would recommend the attorney who handled their case. Although you can do research online as well, asking this exhaustive list of questions and taking notes when you have your initial consultation with a divorce lawyer can help you find an attorney who’s well qualified and a good fit with your personality. In addition to using this list, make sure to write down any specific questions you may have.
Getting a feel for working with a particular attorney can help put your mind at ease. It can also give you the confidence you need to get through your divorce, knowing you’ll have experienced legal professionals in your corner.
Contact An Eastern Pennsylvania Divorce Lawyer
At Thomas, Conrad & Conrad, our divorce attorneys are seasoned negotiators who use their conflict resolution experience to help couples and families resolve issues with as little stress as possible. We approach every single case with compassion and proficiency that comes with decades of experience in family law. We offer affordable flat fees for simple divorce with no property and serve clients throughout eastern Pennsylvania. To schedule a consultation, contact us online or call our Bethlehem office at 610-867-2900.